What Is Builder’s Risk Insurance?

Jun 20, 2022

Builder’s Risk insurance can seem similar to other types of policies. Find out how this coverage is different and why it’s just as important.

As someone taking on a new construction or undergoing a major renovation, you likely know about Builder’s Risk insurance. But how exactly does it differ from a Trades and Contractors policy?

Below, the NEXUS team explains:

  • What Builder’s Risk covers and who it’s for
  • What this type of insurance doesn’t cover
  • How it’s different from other risk coverage
  • Why it’s important for any construction project
  • How you can get covered today

Need Builder’s Risk

Contact Us

What Does Builder’s Risk Insurance Cover?

This type of insurance, which is also known as Course of Construction, covers any structure while it’s being built. This can include both new projects and pre-existing buildings that are undergoing renovations.

A policy like this typically offers project-specific Property Coverage and Premises Liability. For example, NEXUS’s Builder’s Risk insurance includes both of these coverages with limits up to $2M for new constructions and renovations.

Course of Construction insurance usually also includes the following coverage types:

  • Rental Value
  • Additional Living Expenses
  • Change Order Coverage
  • Equipment Breakdown
  • Sewer Backup, Flood, and Earthquake

With Builder’s Risk insurance, your project materials, supplies, and equipment (both onsite and in transit) will often be covered if damaged by:

  • Fire
  • Explosion
  • Vandalism
  • Theft
  • Weather
  • Vehicles or aircrafts

When property damages cause delays, insurance can also help cover the loss of any sales, rental income, real estate taxes, or interest on loans.

All construction jobs are unique, which is why each policy will look different. If your site requires additional coverage, you can often extend your policy to include items like scaffolding, debris removal, and temporary structures.

What Doesn’t Builder’s Risk Insurance Cover?

Although this type of policy is important to have in place for your protection, you’ll also want to check with your insurance company to understand what’s not included.

Typically, the below would be excluded from your coverage:

  • Acts of war
  • Contract penalty
  • Employee theft
  • Engineers
  • Government action
  • Poor design, materials, or craftsmanship
  • Voluntary partings

Who Is Builder’s Risk Insurance For?

This policy can be bought by the building owner, a general contractor, or a construction manager. Regardless of who purchases the policy, however, you may want to consider including the following individuals in the coverage:

  • Property owner
  • General contractor
  • Construction manager
  • Subcontractors
  • Lenders

RelatedBuilder risk insurance cost

How Is It Different from Trades and Contractors Insurance?

While both Builder’s Risk and Trades and Contractors Insurance provide coverage for job sites, they operate in very different ways.

The coverage from a Builder’s Risk policy typically protects the property under construction and the materials and equipment used for that project. Without it, there may be a gap in coverage for the structure. Coverage is usually in place from the beginning of a project until it has been completed.

Trades and Contractors, on the other hand, is a package policy that allows a service provider to build custom coverage for their unique business needs. The commercial general liability coverage included in a policy like this can help protect trades professionals in the event of an accident that causes injury to a client or damage to the property.

Looking for Builder’s Risk Insurance for Your Project?

Finding the right insurance policy for your project can feel overwhelming and, at times, confusing.

Designed for residential and light commercial buildings with wood frame constructions, NEXUS’s Builder’s Risk insurance offers a policy period up to 24 months and allows backdating up to 14 days.

NEXUS Has You Covered

Get the protection you need with custom Builder’s Risk Insurance from NEXUS.

Contact Us

Share this article on social media


Who Pays for Builder’s Risk Insurance?

Builder’s Risk plays an important role in protecting any job site that’s under construction. Find out who is responsible for purchasing this type of coverage. From ground-up new builds to large-scale renovations, Builder’s Risk insurance helps protect just about any...

How Much Does Builders Risk Insurance Cost?

Builders risk insurance, also known as course of construction insurance, is a vital part of the construction or renovation of any building. Given the inherent danger of construction sites, ensuring you have the proper insurance set up can end up saving you plenty of...

How Much Does It Cost to Build a House in Canada?

The Price Tags to Creating your Dream Home While the cost of building a house varies between provinces and due to other factors, you can expect prices to range between $120 and $250 per square foot. If we average this to $185, it costs you approximately $370,000 to...

Working from home: The remote worker’s guide to insurance

With many businesses having been forced to adapt quickly to the prospect of remote work due to the pandemic, it’s important that remote workers make sure they know what their home insurance policy protects them from. For those that are working from home, insurance is...

What Temperature Should You Keep a Vacant House At?

Set your thermostat to at least 55°F/16°C if you leave your home for an extended period in the winter. In the summer, it’s advisable to fix your air conditioning to maintain a temperature between 85°F and 90°F or 29°C and 32°C. Although you won’t be home, maintaining...