How Much Personal Property Insurance Do I Need?

Aug 15, 2022

Find out how much coverage you should have for your personal belongings when you apply for tenant insurance.

As a renter, there are certain policies that you don’t need to worry about. For example, since you don’t own the structure you live in, your insurance won’t need to include dwelling coverage. That said, it’s still important to financially protect yourself and your personal property in case of fire or water damage, theft, or liability claims.

Most tenant and homeowners insurance covers personal property. However, whether it’s your first or fifteenth time going through the application process, you may be wondering:

How much personal property coverage do you really need?

Read on to find out how much home insurance you should have, what personal property insurance typically includes, and how to determine the amount of coverage you need to protect your belongings.

Need Renter’s Insurance?

Learn More

How Much Home Insurance Do I Need?

The amount of renter’s insurance you need often comes down to the coverage limits that make sense for your home, balanced with both your deductible and your premium.

For those who may be unfamiliar with these terms, your coverage limit is the maximum amount of money that your insurance company will provide in the event of a claim. The deductible is the quantity you will need to spend before your coverage kicks in, and your policy premium will be what you pay for your insurance in monthly or yearly instalments.

Adjusting your coverage limit and deductible amount will affect how much you pay each month or year. For example, if you want a higher coverage limit but a lower deductible, your premiums will go up. On the other hand, if you select a smaller coverage limit and a higher deductible, your payments will decrease.

To help determine how much insurance you need to purchase for your home, you’ll want to evaluate the different types of coverage that are included in your policy. For example, below are the policies that NEXUS covers in our renter’s insurance product.

  • Personal Property – NEXUS offers different packages for your personal property that have limits ranging from $30K to $150K. Our Premium Package also includes flood insurance that offers Sewer Backup Coverage and Overland Water Damage.
  • Additional Living Expenses – If your home becomes uninhabitable due to extreme damage, this policy will cover the costs of any temporary accommodation, meals out, or groceries while your home is being repaired.
  • Personal Liability – This type of insurance helps protect you financially if someone injures themselves on your property. For example, a visitor who slips and falls in your home has the right to sue you. If this happens, you could be responsible for the cost of damages and any associated legal fees. With NEXUS, you can choose from coverage limits of $1M and $2M.

What Is Personal Property Insurance?

Personal Property Insurance can help protect you financially if your belongings are subject to theft or damage. Typically, this policy will cover your items when they’re in your home or with you on vacation by covering the cost to repair or replace your belongings.

It can cover a wide range of personal things, such as your:

  • Clothing
  • Furniture
  • Portable Electronics
  • Linens
  • Sports equipment
  • Decorations
  • Cookware
  • Tools

It’s important to remember some of your more expensive belongings may not be included in your standard personal property insurance. Below is a list of high-value items to look out for that could have special limits within your policy.

Expensive Items that Often Have Special Coverage Limits:

  • Jewelry
  • Bikes
  • Collectors Items
  • Fine Arts
  • Musical Instruments
  • Water-crafts
  • Wine and Spirits

How to Determine the Value of Your Personal Property

Deciding how much insurance coverage you need for your personal property will come down to how much your belongings are worth. The process of evaluating your possessions will be entirely up to you because, of course, your insurance agent won’t be able to tell you the value of what you own.

As this is a task that can take some time, it may be a good idea to take stock of your personal belongings before you begin your renter’s insurance application. That way, when you sit down to fill out your forms, you won’t have to stop part-way through.

An effective way to determine the value of your personal property is to start with an inventory list of all the items you’d like replaced if anything were to happen to them. From there, calculate the value of each of your belongings, and tally up your total. This number represents how much personal property coverage you need.

NEXUS Has You Covered

Get the protection you need with custom Renter’s Insurance from NEXUS.

Learn More

Share this article on social media

Recent Articles

Landlords, do your tenants have personal insurance?

Are you a Landlord? Do you know WHY your tenants should have Renter’s insurance? Your Liability exposure is one reason. If your tenant has insurance, their liability claims will go to them first. Otherwise, they go to you and your insurance. Which can raise your rates...

Coquitlam Crunch Challenge & The Community Diversity Fund

The Coquitlam Crunch Challenge, has been brought back after its two-year break! This year’s event was a huge success, with the biggest turnout that this event has ever seen! For those unfamiliar with The Coquitlam Crunch Challenge, it is an uphill running community...

Additional Living Expense Coverage

Read in full Let’s talk about addition living expenses or loss of use coverage and how it affects you in a claim. “Additional Living Expenses.” This is where most people find they are underinsured. It pays for all the extra expenses you incur when you cannot live in...

Condo Strata’s Water Deductible

Read in full Congratulations! You just bought a condo or maybe a townhouse. Do you know what type of insurance you require? There is Important information you need to review and consider about condo or townhouse insurance. The Strata has insurance for the building...


  • 2023 (1)
  • 2022 (37)
  • 2021 (15)