What insurance you will need for your investment property

Sep 29, 2022

Having the appropriate insurance coverage can make all the difference if you want to rent out your home. Find out which policies are necessary to safeguard your investment.

Being a homeowner signifies that you have made a significant investment in a piece of property, regardless of whether you own a studio apartment or a four-bedroom house Naturally, many people choose to live in a home or condo. However, numerous homeowners are opting to rent out their investment as well.

While you have tenants in your home, insurance is one of the best ways to safeguard your investment, whether you intend to travel, rent elsewhere, or live in another property you own.

The Value of Personal Insurance  provides you with financial protection for non-business-related expenses. Naturally, this is not the same as commercial insurance, which covers a company or business.

For instance, homeowners don’t need to think about professional liability insurance or commercial property insurance. However, you’ll need to find the right home insurance policy to protect you in the event of an accident, theft, or damage.

Personal insurance lines like renter’s insurance and homeowner’s insurance can give you peace of mind in situations like: Damage from fire, smoke, or water Liability claims for injury or damage Additional living expenses in the event of an emergency 

What’s the Difference Between Renter’s Insurance and Homeowner’s Insurance?

It may appear that renter’s insurance and homeowner’s insurance are comparable. However, there are numerous distinctions between the two types of coverage.

Your personal liability and the property that you own are all covered by your home insurance.

Tenants, on the other hand, purchase renter’s insurance coverage for themselves. The tenant’s actual rental unit does not receive protection from this kind of policy. However, it does cover a number of other topics, including: contents, liability for oneself, theft, and additional living costs 

Do landlords need homeowner’s insurance or renter’s insurance?

No.  Homeowner’s insurance will not cover you if you rent out your property and do not live there. What you need is landlord insurance or rental property insurance, which is the kind of coverage you need.

What Is Rental or Landlord Insurance?

As a landlord, insurance for rental properties safeguards you from financial loss. In most cases, this kind of insurance will provide:

  • Contents coverage for your personal items or belongings, such as major appliances, that are on the premises 
  • Liability coverage, protects you if a tenant or guest injures themselves on your property 
  • Loss of rental income coverage, which compensates you for lost earnings if your tenants must move out due to insured damage

Even if you have landlord insurance, your renters may cause you to incur unanticipated expenses. 

It is always a good idea to ask your tenants to get their own insurance as well.

Keep in mind that renters in Canada are not required by law to purchase renter’s insurance. Therefore, you will need to follow up directly with your tenants if this is something you would like to add as an additional layer of security. You could, for instance, require your tenants to have tenant’s insurance before accepting their tenancy.

Share this article on social media

Recent Articles

Landlords, do your tenants have personal insurance?

Are you a Landlord? Do you know WHY your tenants should have Renter’s insurance? Your Liability exposure is one reason. If your tenant has insurance, their liability claims will go to them first. Otherwise, they go to you and your insurance. Which can raise your rates...

Coquitlam Crunch Challenge & The Community Diversity Fund

The Coquitlam Crunch Challenge, has been brought back after its two-year break! This year’s event was a huge success, with the biggest turnout that this event has ever seen! For those unfamiliar with The Coquitlam Crunch Challenge, it is an uphill running community...

Additional Living Expense Coverage

Read in full Let’s talk about addition living expenses or loss of use coverage and how it affects you in a claim. “Additional Living Expenses.” This is where most people find they are underinsured. It pays for all the extra expenses you incur when you cannot live in...

Condo Strata’s Water Deductible

Read in full Congratulations! You just bought a condo or maybe a townhouse. Do you know what type of insurance you require? There is Important information you need to review and consider about condo or townhouse insurance. The Strata has insurance for the building...


  • 2023 (1)
  • 2022 (37)
  • 2021 (15)